Social Security Tribunal of Canada


The appellant is the person who files an appeal with the Social Security Tribunal (SST). 

You’re the appellant if one of the following applies to you. 

  • You disagree with a decision Service Canada made about the following benefits:
    • Employment Insurance (EI)
    • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
    • Old Age Security (OAS) 
    • Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) 

and you file an appeal with the SST’s General Division. 

  • You disagree with a decision made by the SST at the General Division and you file an appeal with the Appeal Division.  

For some types of proceedings, the person submits an application, not an appeal. In those cases, they are called an applicant, but their role is generally the same. 

Date modified:

Did you find what you were looking for?


Any information you share here will be anonymous. You won’t get a reply. If you want a reply, please contact us directly.

Thanks for your feedback!