Social Security Tribunal of Canada

Canada Pension Plan disability Appeal Division: How to appeal

Asking for permission to appeal

The form asks you to explain why you think the General Division made a mistake or if you have new evidence that you didn’t present to the General Division. At this stage, you need to convince the Appeal Division to allow your appeal to go ahead. This is called getting “leave to appeal.” The Appeal Division can only consider specific criteria. You have to show the Appeal Division that you have a reasonable argument or that you have new evidence.

Sending supporting documents

We encourage you to send us documents you think will support your appeal, if you have any.

You don’t need to send documents that were given to the General Division. The Appeal Division already has those documents.

The Social Security Tribunal (SST) doesn’t investigate or seek out supporting documents (evidence). We don’t contact people to get more information on your behalf. It’s up to you to send us your supporting documents.

Supporting documents could include:

  • medical reports
  • specialist’s reports
  • evaluations (for example, functional capacity assessments) 
  • provincial workers’ compensation board or workers’ safety and insurance board files
  • proof of attempts to work or attempts to find work

Send us your documents by email, mail or fax. If you send them by email, make sure they’re in a format we can open.

We share the documents we receive with all the parties involved in your appeal.

Keep your originals. Send us copies.


There’s no fee to appeal to the SST.

But, you will have to pay costs related to your appeal such as:

  • making photocopies of documents you want to send to us
  • sending documents to us by Canada Post or a courier service
  • paying a health professional to write a report for you
  • hiring a representative
  • translating documents into either English or French
  • travelling to an in-person hearing

In very rare cases, if you’re required to attend a hearing, you may be able to get reimbursed for travel expenses, living expenses or lost income. The SST chairperson decides if there are special reasons that justify a reimbursement. See section 63(1) of the Department of Employment and Social Development Act.

Date modified:

Did you find what you were looking for?

What's wrong?


You won’t get a reply. Phone numbers and email addresses will be removed.

Thanks for your feedback!